My Resolute Heart

Yielding to His lordship...Surrendering to His will...Accepting His plans and provisions

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rules of Relationship

I do not consider myself to be an expert on relationships. In fact, my track record would certainly prove otherwise. Relationships seemed easier for me when I was a child. I remember being surrounded by friends and family who knew me and there wasn't really anything to hide or any need to hide anything.
In high school it seemed that the circle of people I felt really knew me was getting smaller and smaller. By college I was completely alienated from the comfort of true friends and found myself having great difficulty with developing meaningful relationships. Consequently, this was the beginning of a time of great sadness in my life.
Fortunately, seasons change and life goes on and God has a way of leading us through difficulties and teaching us as we go. And what is it I have learned? What I have learned is that there is still much for me to learn about healthy, deep, fruitful, honest face-to-face relationships -- whether it is with the Highly exalted and Holy Creator God or with a lovely, yet lowly human.
I do know this -- the more honest I am with God and the more time I spend with him in this
vulnerable state of honesty the sweeter the relationship. This sweetness brings me great joy. And there is also immense joy when I find myself willing to relate to other individuals in this same type of honest and vulnerable manner. It has become too exhausting to attempt to relate to God or anyone else with the "fluffed up" version of me. I still try to present the best of me to God and others, but I am no longer under the delusion that I can somehow alter who I am on the inside by what I present on the outside. There are times when the best of me might not look all that great on the outside -- but I figure God and those who are my true friends will be able handle it.
Here in this season of my life, with college long since past, I am finding my circle of meaningful relationships growing. While the circle remains somewhat small it is a fruitful circle and I smile as I sense it growing.
Certainly there are rules of relationship floating around that have been determined by someone more intelligent and eloquent than I. However, I know that I have learned that relationships take time and effort, interest and honesty, a willingness to "show up" and the courage to trust and even be vulnerable. But relationships are worth it!

No comments: