My daughter, Sera, came running into the house with tears streaming from her eyes and a look of horror distorting her face. Between her heavy sobs and being out of breath from running it was hard to hear what she was trying to tell us at first. "There's a snake in the chicken pen and it's eating one of the chickens!"
As I tried to console her she kept repeating, "I thought we had done everything we could so they would be safe." "I thought we had done everything." "I thought they would be safe."
She was correct. Sera and her dad had worked diligently in raising the chickens. Every precaution was taken and great care was given to each of the chicks and their living conditions. The chickens had grown to a size thought big enough to allow them to be able to roam inside the chicken pen. And yet, here she was crumpled in my arms having been traumatized by this intruder who so quickly violated the safety of her chickens.
How deeply my heart hurt for her. I'm her mom. I never want to see her in pain or know that she is suffering. My job as her mother is to protect her. My desire is to do everything I can to make sure she is safe and happy. I know I can't, but sometimes I wish I could protect all my children from the pains experienced in life. But just like the snake who invaded the safe environment Sera created for her chickens, I know that trouble will invade the safe place that I work so diligently to create for those in my care. My pastor shared wise and tender words, "...so instead of doing all we can to keep them from pain we should be doing all we can to show them how to run to Jesus in the midst of the pain."
While I continued to hold Sera and tried to provide her with comfort, her dad responded quickly in ridding the chicken pen of the intruder snake. Then he and Sera had a quiet burial for the chicken. Wisely and very gently he took Sera back into the chicken pen...the place where just minutes before she had walked in on a very large snake devouring one of her beloved chickens. Her dad quietly began to explain his plan to make the pen more secure. As she stood there holding tightly to her daddy's hand I knew that she would be fine. She knows her dad and trusts him to take care of her.
As this image lingered in my mind I could not help but think about my heavenly Father and how He has gone to such lengths to ensure my safety. He provides a place for me beyond the reach of the intruder snake. And yet, trouble comes. I experience pain and suffering. And during these times I have learned to run to the One who loves me and provides me comfort and peace. He also gently leads me through His Holy Word and shows me His plans to ensure my safety.
After the supplies were purchased and the work was done to fortify the pen, Sera's dad surprised her with six new chicks to replace the one that was taken from her. I would never have wished for my daughter to go through this traumatic experience, but I recognize how blessed she is to have such a wise and loving father who walked with her through the shock and the pain, the loss and the fear, into a place of abundance.
Shortly after this experience, Sera staged a photo of herself in the chicken pen holding one of her new chicks while studying Biology. This picture was one of three she entered in a contest and was awarded a $300 scholarship. So long, intruder snake ... we've got some chickens to raise.

1 comment:
Beautiful, Terha! I had tears in my eyes as I read. Such a wonderful analogy and written so well.
Post a Comment