My Resolute Heart

Yielding to His lordship...Surrendering to His will...Accepting His plans and provisions

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More on relationships?

Recently I've been thinking about why some relationships seem to come so easily while others do not. When I think of the 'easy' relationships a couple of things come to mind . . . mutual respect, common interest, and a healthy view of self. The not so easy relationships, in contrast, seem to be riddled with disrespect by at least one of the parties, a lack of common interests and sometimes the biggest hurdle is an overbearing party or one who is terribly insecure or needy.
It is interesting to note that some of the easy relationships, while they were enjoyable for a season, often do not have any depth or enduring qualities. While I have witnessed some relationships that were at one point burdensome and wearying be turned around and become deep and long-lasting.
There have been people whom I encountered and a misunderstanding or bad first impression caused the birthing of the relationship to be rough and slow. And then there have been relationships that started out relatively easy and seemingly good only to be ended by betrayal.
So why all of this interest in relationships? I would have to say the main reasons are my current endeavors and on-going struggles with developing relationships with my recently adopted children and what that is revealing to me about my relationship with God and with others.
Interestingly, while I am struggling to build relationships with my children I am finding a deeper relationship growing with God. I suppose this is due in part to my complete dependence on Him and the amount of time we are spending together as I walk through this part of my journey. And as my relationship with God is deepening I am finding that there is an increased deepening of my personal relationships.
There remain those difficult or broken relationships that have been placed at the feet of Jesus and I leave them there for His divine intervention, in His time. Also remaining are the relationships that I am trying to nurture and cultivate with my children. These I also surrender to the indescribable wisdom and sovereignty of my Lord, Jesus. I imagine in time there will be more respect, more common interests and a healing of deep woundedness in each of them that will help to strengthen our relationships. I remain hopeful that, even though slow in the beginning and difficult without question, these relationships with my children will grow to be deep and long lasting and well worth the investment in the long run.

No comments: