From the archives ~ Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled. "No other standard is sufficient and no other pursuit is more worthy." Words from our pastor on Sunday as he preached from Matt. 5:6. This sermon series from Matthew 5 has been inspiring and convicting. Our pastor has pointed out that the beatitudes are in a progressive order. In order to hunger and thirst for righteousness we must first be meek - surrendered to God's control. To be meek we must mourn - the deep gut wrenching sorrow over our sin. And to mourn we must first be poor in spirit - able to recognize God as our source and pursuing him and his will rather than attempting to be successful in our own strength. It is encouraging to know that as I place God first, acknowledge his holiness and my sinfulness and yield to his control that my daily appetite will be for MORE of him. And his word to me is that "I will be filled." I will be satisfied. I am reminded of David in Psalm 23 when he says "I shall not want." When he is all I desire - I will never be without. A few years ago I wrote a song based on Ex. 3:13-15 where God speaks to Moses and says, "I AM WHO I AM."
"You are the great I AM, the One who will be there.
You will be all I need, no matter when or where.
You will be there, and there is nowhere that I could ever go
And find that your gone, I'm never alone, for you will be there."
O Lord, I hunger and thirst for righteousness. Not my righteousness (which is like filthy rags) but your righteousness. I desire your righteouseness for no other standard is sufficient and no other pursuit is more worthy. Nothing, Lord, compares with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment